Burgers are one of the most popular foods in America. Nearly everyone has tried a hamburger and many people consider themselves to be burger experts, trying different burgers wherever they go. But even the most die-hard hamburger fans may not know the following 10 fascinating burger facts.
1. The first burger in America was likely created in 1900 by lunch cart operator Louis Lassen. He first served the burger as a ground beef sandwich to a worker who needed a convenient lunch on the go.
2. Americans eat nearly 50 billion burgers each year. On average this allows for 3 burgers per week for every person in America.
3. The claim for the oldest burger chain in America belongs to White Castle. Their first location was opened in 1921 where burgers cost a mere 5 cents each.
4. One of the most popular and well known burgers, the Big Mac, was introduced in 1968 and sold for 49 cents.
5. There is a Hamburger Hall of Fame located in Seymour, Wisconsin.
6. 96% of Americans eat at least one meal a year at the burger giant McDonald’s.
7. Hamburgers got their name because they were first served in Hamburg, Germany.
8. The most expensive burger in the world is $5000 due to it’s gourmet ingredients and toppings.
9. A recent poll rated the burger from 5 Guys Burger and Fries to be the best fast food burger. It beat out both McDonald’s and Burger King.
10. Cheeseburgers are an American favorite. 40% of burgers in the U.S. have cheese on them.